SUP is a sport that is taking the world by storm. There are even talks of it becoming an Olympic sport in the future. Why jump aboard this bandwagon? Here are some reasons why you should get into this sport.
- You can pretty much do it on any body of water – the ocean, the lakes, the rivers, the ponds – you name it. It is mostly done on flat bodies of water with hardly any waves but now people have been taking on some small waves with their boards. You can do a bit of surfing with it on the ocean.
- It can be a very relaxing sport if you just calmly paddle and enjoy the surroundings near you. The quietness of the sport makes it easier to see wildlife who have not run away because of motor noise. You can also explore different areas of a body of water that motorboats cannot get to or bigger water vehicles cannot get to for excellent never-before-seen photographs of scenery.
- You can be as physical as you like. If you like to exercise, you can make the paddling quick and intense for a serious workout. A growing trend in the sport is also SUP yoga where people do yoga poses on the SUP boards on a calm body of water. This really gives your body balance and yoga technique a challenge.
- It’s easy to learn. You should take your first SUP outing with an SUP instructor. You only need a couple of hours to master the basics and your instructor will make sure your paddling technique is right so you don’t hurt yourself. You should know how to swim if you take up the sport, but even if you do know how to swim, it is recommended that you use a life jacket.
- Anyone can do it. People with physical disabilities can master stand-up paddle boarding as well. It’s great therapy on the water. Young or old, no matter the age or ability, it’s not too difficult to paddle.
- More than one person can go on a board. There are boards designed for families so a few people can enjoy paddling together on a board. Even a single-person board can take on pets if the pets enjoy being on the water. Just be sure the pets have on their own personal life jacket for safety.
One of the downsides of the sport is it is expensive to start with if you want quality boards. I have seen some boards with a paddle go for as low as $200 on sale but in general good boards can range from $300 to a few thousand dollars. If you want to try it out (you will get hooked to the sport) you should first rent different boards for about $25 to $30 dollars for a day in some places and see if you enjoy the sport and if it is worth it for you to buy a board and paddle. After that though, the cost is minimal. You can get patches if you have inflatable boards for fixing your board.
If you feel that you would like to further your interests in the sport, go ahead and invest in good quality gear. For all your stand-up paddle boarding needs, go to this Website for high quality boards and accessories.
If you’ve got the funding and the time to travel and windsurf the world, where would the best places to windsurf be? Konaboards has narrowed down some of best places to windsurf worldwide and explains why they’re so special.
Hawaii, USA – One of the first places where the locals were originally found to be surfing on flat custom-made boards and one of the birthplaces of modern surfing is a definite destination for windsurfing. You can find the perfect waves and wind here to take you to new windsurfing heights especially in May to October. From novice to professional, you can find conditions that suit any level. On Maui, Ho’okipa and Kanaha beaches are the go-to windsurfing site for professionals and mid-level windsurfers looking to up their game. Beginners would have an easier time getting better at the sport at Kihei or Lahaina beaches. On Oahu, windsurfing novices will enjoy Kailua Bay and the pros will want to go to Maunalua Bay. Those are just some of the most popular spots in Hawaii for windsurfing. There are several beaches around the different Hawaiian Islands people can windsurf on. Just ask the locals and windsurf business owners for advice on their secret best spots to windsurf.
Baja California, USA – This is one of the places where the windsurfing board was developed. La Ventana, Baja Sur, and Los Barriles are excellent places to go especially the latter, Los Barriles. If this is one of the places that inspired windsurfing, then it will inspire you to excel and improve in the sport too. March to November are peak times for windsurfing in California.
Red Sea, Egypt – You can go windsurfing almost every day at this location especially in the northern parts. The mountains that surround this sea creates strong winds – great conditions for windsurfers. Just remember stay in areas where it’s deemed safe by your embassy.
Mui Ne, Vietnam – Ganh Beach, Suoi Nuoc Beach, and Rang Beach (Mui Ne Beach) situated in the coast of southeast Vietnam has great water and wind for windsurfing. Rang Beach is the most popular destination in Vietnam for windsurfing as it competes for some of the nicest conditions in the world for the sport. The bonus is that it’s not as crowded as the Hawaiian windsurfing destinations. If you’d like to have a relaxing vacation while enjoying the sport, this is the place to go. You’ll have plenty of ocean to yourself to surf.
Aruba, Bonaire, and Curaçao in the Caribbean – This is the beginner windsurfer’s paradise. There are a lot great launch areas and the winds are not too difficult for novices. There are times and areas where it’s windier and the waves are at peak height for the professionals to come out and enjoy. The general warm weather and the stunning views aren’t too shabby either.
Lake Arenal, Costa Rica – If you’re looking for a thrill, this is it. You’ll be windsurfing at the bottom of an active volcano. The windsurfing community thrives on the steady strong winds available on the lake. The lake is roomy and large due to the dam that has been built to generate electricity for the country.
Fuerteventura, Spain – Continuous strong Atlantic winds make this popular European vacation destination a windsurfer’s paradise. A lot of windsurfing competitions are held here for that reason.
To get yourself the best equipment for windsurfing those awesome destinations, check out https://www.konaboards.com.au/ for featured boards and gear.